Saturday, February 26, 2011

Saturdays

Before this year, when I was still teaching, I thought I loved Saturdays.  I could sleep in some (since I didn't have to leave for work at 6:20 am), I could spend time with my husband, the house would get clean, and (in the fall) we could watch college football.

Now that I am home with Colt all week and my "wake up" doesn't have to happen until the little boy gets up, I have found that I actually love and appreciate Saturdays even more.  Why? 

Because of my wonderful husband.  And my sweet baby boy.  Even though I get to spend time with Colt all week long, it is much more fun to spend the day with BOTH of the men in my life.  I appreciate the times we have together much more than I did before; I truly took for granted the time Jason and I got to spend together, and I especially took for granted all of the things he did for me. 

Not anymore.  I could never again take for granted how he helps with the housework.  Don't get me wrong, he has ALWAYS done most of the heavy housework (especially the floors - which I HATE), but after having Colt I have realized what a blessing it is.  I could never again take for granted how he drops off and picks up the dry cleaning now.  I used to (only because the cleaners was on my way to work); now he makes sure it gets done so I don't have to make an extra trip out.  I could never again take for granted how he does ALL the yard work, helps make the beds, brushes and bathes the dogs, and a million other little things around the house. 



Saturdays just have a different meaning to them now.  Sure, we still watch all the college football we can in the fall and clean house.  But now Saturdays are about us as a family of three - not just the two of us.  I love watching Jason play with Colt and make him laugh like NO ONE else can.  I love that Jason babysits so I can run out and get a pedicure or a massage.  (I REALLY love that).  And I love spending time with friends and family on Saturdays.

Hopefully, today will be another great, productive Saturday for the McCulloughs full of laundry, vacuuming, and playing with the baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment